Labels

-books -dates -Lists -Movies -Music -musicals and broadway 24 30 Rock 666 Park Avenue Alcatraz Alias America's Next Top Model American Horror Story American Idol Americans Are You There Chelsea? Arrested Development Arrow Awake Awkward Bates Motel Being Human Ben and Kate Bent Best Friends Forever Better with You Big Bang Theory Big Brother Big C Big Love Blue Bloods Boardwalk Empire Body of Proof Bones Borgias Boss Breaking Bad Breaking In Breaking Pointe Bridge Bunheads Camelot Carrie Diaries Charlie's Angels Chicago Code Chicago Fire Chuck Community Continuum Copper Cougar Town Cult Dark Tower Deception Defenders Degrassi Dexter Doctor Who Dollhouse Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 Downton Abbey Elementary Emily Owens MD Enlightened Episodes Event Fall Falling Skies Family Tree Felicity Finder Firefly Following Fosters Freaks and Geeks Friday Night Lights Friends Fringe Game of Thrones GCB Gifted Man Gilmore GIrls Girls Glee Glee Project Good Wife Gossip Girl Grey's Anatomy Grimm Hannibal Happy Endings Harry Potter Hart of Dixie Hawaii Five-O Hell on Wheels Hellcats Hemlock Grove Heroes Homeland House House of Cards House of Lies How I Met Your Mother How to Be a Gentleman How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life) I Hate My Teenage Daughter In Treatment Intervention Jane by Design Jersey Shore Justified Last Man Standing Last Resort Life Unexpected Lone Star Longmire LOST Louie Lying Game Mad Men Make it or Break it Man Up Mindy Project Missing Mockingbird Lane Modern Family Mr Selfridge Napoleon Dynamite Nashville New Girl New Normal Nikita Nine Lives of Chloe King No Ordinary Family Off the Map Office Once Upon a Time Originals Outlaw Outsourced Pan Am Parenthood Parks and Recreation Perfect Couples Person of Interest Playboy Club Pretty Little Liars Prime Suspect Psych Raising Hope Real Housewives of New Jersey Revenge Revolution Ringer Rob Rookie Blue Running Wilde Saving Hope Scandal Scrubs Secret Circle Secret Life of the American Teenager Sex and the City Shameless Sherlock Smash So You Think You Can Dance Sons of Anarchy South Park Southland Suburgatory Supernatural Switched at Birth Teen Wolf Terra Nova The Fall The Fosters The Killing The River The Voice Touch true blood Twisted Two and a Half Men Two Broke Girls Under the Dome Unforgettable United States of Tara Up All Night V Vampire Diaries Veep Vegas Veronica Mars Walking Dead Web Therapy Weeds White Collar Whitney Whole Truth Wilfred Work It X-Factor X-Files Zero Hour

Monday, August 30, 2010

True Blood: Fresh Blood. An episode as ho-hum as its title- Why do we still watch? And should non-watchers go for the books or the show?

*Some spoilers follow* Why do True Blood watchers follow the show? Is it to be titillated, either on a romantic or sexual level? Is it the twists? The slick HBO production? The funny gore? The fact that both guys and girls seem to like it? I’m still watching, but I’m not sure why. I’m not into the Sookie/Bill romance that many find so sweet. I’m not ready to give up the show because of one dull season. Overall, I really like True Blood.

My current reasons to watch? Eric and Tara. Tara represents the show’s assertion that even weak characters who continually reach the bottom can rise up and defend themselves and their loved ones. Eric is just super hot. My only beef with him is that he delivers all of his lines in a whisper. When was the last time you had an entire conversation in a room alone with another person where you whispered the whole thing? I’m also a Sam fan. Except for this new, drunk Sam. I don't like that.

This season started out slow for me. The characters were separated, the show went for shock factor (which is fine, because it’s True Blood, as long as there is a suspenseful plot going with it), and it took forever for something to happen. This show is based on a book series and each season covers one book. I wonder if the show would be better if it covered two books per season, amping up the pace. Last season, the Maryann storyline dragged. First season sucked me in and didn’t let go. Second season was so crazy (and funny)that I couldn’t look away. But third season? Seemed like a lot of intro to an actual event that hasn’t yet happened, and apparently it’s all happening now, but if you yawn, you’ll miss it.

I’m getting tired of waiting for revelations. And for Eric and Sookie to hook up. Some of the events might also be best left to the imagination. I think many of the vampires would be creepier or hotter if I could think them up myself. For every incredible visual interpretation of an event on the show, there is one that is lacking. This is why I bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book. I am going to read them and see if I should skip the TV series in the future and just read the books. I’ll let you know how it goes.

As far as Eric vs. Bill? The bloggers are split. Ern thinks Eric is much hotter and better for Sookie, but Leeard thinks Bill should be with Sookie in the long run.

Comments on this episode:
-Jason’s new squeeze, Crystal, finally won me over. I like Jason’s plotline this season.
-Like the new Wiccan, and I was surprised Arlene’s abortion didn’t work. Poor Terry is such a nice guy
-Can we make the cheerleader who was annoyed at her football-playing boyfriend a regular?
-Jessica and Hoyt may have the most honest, mature relationship. That his mom is trying to ruin with that hilarious nitwit she sent.
-I welcome the return of crazy voo doo to the show in the form of Jesus. Or his grandpa. Or drugs. What IS going on with that?
-Sam and Tara. Been there, seen that.

The finale is in two weeks, and it had better rock. The buildup does not have me on the edge of my seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment