Bridesmaids is getting rave reviews and being called “a female version of The Hangover.” We want to correct this assertion, at least a little bit, so that blog readers won’t be disappointed at the theater. Sometimes having different expectations of a movie can ruin an otherwise enjoyable movie. Guys, don’t expect to go into Bridesmaids and see the wolf pack. With the way it's being advertised and the critics' blurbs, you might go in expecting the laugh-fest of your life. What you get is a good movie about friends that’s occasionally really funny. It's not fair to compare it to The Hangover, because it's trying to do something different here. It's trying to be a genuine, funny chick flick that actual women can relate to.
The most important point. 1) Bridesmaids is funny, but it also has relationship stuff, friendship stuff, life stuff, depressing stuff, awkward stuff, and serious moments. Like most Judd Apatow comedies, Bridesmaids sometimes hits the snooze on the comedy in order to inject heart and maturity. We like this sometimes, but that’s definitely a difference from The Hangover. It’s like if The Hangover and a chick flick had a baby. But that baby didn’t exactly make it to Vegas. That’s right. Don’t go in expecting a Vegas vacation movie. Ninety percent of the action takes place in the bride’s hometown of Milwaukee.
2) The sex scene at the beginning is reminiscent of something you would see on Sex and the City: Explicit and absolutely hilarious. There’s a pretty funny gross-out scene too. But this early sex scene makes you think you are going to see a movie like that the entire time. You're not. It calms down. It chills out. Some people won't like that.
3) It’s long and sometimes it feels long. Remember Funny People? Partly funny, but mostly long and grown-up? Bridesmaids is funnier than that movie, but it’s a movie like that.
4) Do you hate awkward humor where you just feel really bad for the people being embarrassed? Then a few scenes will be hellish for you, like they were for Leeard.
5) Lots of people thought the overweight, weird woman who farts or burps in the trailer would be overused and annoying. This is not the case. While not as funny or memorable as The Hangover’s Alan, she is really funny. And only used a little. We could have stood two more scenes with her, easily. We didn’t think Gilmore Girls’ Sookie could be that wonderfully weird and gross, but we were proven wrong.
6) Kristen Wiig is really good in it. And girls who aren’t, shall we say, the typical sorority girl will relate to her.
We recommend this movie, but only after you read these caveats so you don’t go in expecting an immature, raucous, shocking good time with no slow, serious parts.
Movie Grade: A-
-books -dates -Lists -Movies -Music -musicals and broadway 24 30 Rock 666 Park Avenue Alcatraz Alias America's Next Top Model American Horror Story American Idol Americans Are You There Chelsea? Arrested Development Arrow Awake Awkward Bates Motel Being Human Ben and Kate Bent Best Friends Forever Better with You Big Bang Theory Big Brother Big C Big Love Blue Bloods Boardwalk Empire Body of Proof Bones Borgias Boss Breaking Bad Breaking In Breaking Pointe Bridge Bunheads Camelot Carrie Diaries Charlie's Angels Chicago Code Chicago Fire Chuck Community Continuum Copper Cougar Town Cult Dark Tower Deception Defenders Degrassi Dexter Doctor Who Dollhouse Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 Downton Abbey Elementary Emily Owens MD Enlightened Episodes Event Fall Falling Skies Family Tree Felicity Finder Firefly Following Fosters Freaks and Geeks Friday Night Lights Friends Fringe Game of Thrones GCB Gifted Man Gilmore GIrls Girls Glee Glee Project Good Wife Gossip Girl Grey's Anatomy Grimm Hannibal Happy Endings Harry Potter Hart of Dixie Hawaii Five-O Hell on Wheels Hellcats Hemlock Grove Heroes Homeland House House of Cards House of Lies How I Met Your Mother How to Be a Gentleman How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life) I Hate My Teenage Daughter In Treatment Intervention Jane by Design Jersey Shore Justified Last Man Standing Last Resort Life Unexpected Lone Star Longmire LOST Louie Lying Game Mad Men Make it or Break it Man Up Mindy Project Missing Mockingbird Lane Modern Family Mr Selfridge Napoleon Dynamite Nashville New Girl New Normal Nikita Nine Lives of Chloe King No Ordinary Family Off the Map Office Once Upon a Time Originals Outlaw Outsourced Pan Am Parenthood Parks and Recreation Perfect Couples Person of Interest Playboy Club Pretty Little Liars Prime Suspect Psych Raising Hope Real Housewives of New Jersey Revenge Revolution Ringer Rob Rookie Blue Running Wilde Saving Hope Scandal Scrubs Secret Circle Secret Life of the American Teenager Sex and the City Shameless Sherlock Smash So You Think You Can Dance Sons of Anarchy South Park Southland Suburgatory Supernatural Switched at Birth Teen Wolf Terra Nova The Fall The Fosters The Killing The River The Voice Touch true blood Twisted Two and a Half Men Two Broke Girls Under the Dome Unforgettable United States of Tara Up All Night V Vampire Diaries Veep Vegas Veronica Mars Walking Dead Web Therapy Weeds White Collar Whitney Whole Truth Wilfred Work It X-Factor X-Files Zero Hour